View Single Post
Old 04-04-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
dave

i think it's all about mood and environment. what do you expect from a game?

for something that's very involved, i have turned to clan play online with quake3. i've been doing it for almost two and a half years now and it's been very rewarding long term. i have a lot of fun in matches. but it's taken a lot of time to build up the teamwork and whatnot that we have. it wasn't as fun a year ago.

on the other hand, you can definitely get that on the console. take a look at "halo", "metal gear solid" and "metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty". all three of them are very involved, have good stories (metal gear solid more than the other two) and provide satisfaction equivalent to that of diablo ii and the like.

however, console games are also good for quick fun. like perth mentioned, "crazy taxi" is a great example of a game you can pick up and have fun with in 5 or 10 minutes. you pop it in, it just <b>works</b> first time (and every time thereafter), and you play. controls are simple and easy to learn.

i definitely enjoy computer gaming (or i wouldn't play quake3 so much), but console gaming has its place as well, and i think that dismissing consoles straight-out simply because you haven't been impressed with what you've seen is based largely on ignorance. there's much more out there.