View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #34
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
...but...@ Classic: to my mind, mercy and compassion aren't about what the recipients of them deserve; they're about what the giver is prepared to give. And for justice truly to be justice it needs both, else it's just vengeance. And I'd like to think most of us are better than that. Better than the murderers or the paedophiles or the rapists. Better than those who are devoid of compassion and who have no mercy.

[eta] that's not to say , by the way, that I see no place in life for vengeance. I just don't think its place is in our justice system. As individuals, if hurt we may well want vengeance. But I want my society to be a just one, not a vengeful one. I want a justice system that tempers its judgements with mercy and compassion, even if I as an individual might prefer vengeance.
You wimpy Brit! In America, we have no compassion. The guy did what he did because he could, and had no compassion for an eleven year old girl. He was bigger and stronger, so he did what he wanted to do. Now that we, as a society, have captured him, the collective we, as the bigger and stronger entity, get to do whatever we want to do to him. Torture, death, the sky is the limit! It's a shame that the first person on the scene didn't just shoot him, or better yet, the girl didn't shoot him at the time of her abduction. And his wife.

The girl now has to pull herself up by her own bootstraps. No welfare or healthcare for her or her's. She'll have to get a job and pay for her own housing and healthcare, and maybe she should immediately get her own gun so that this kind of thing can't happen to her again.

What would be better than prison or execution would be to round up all the bad people in the world and quarantine them somewhere - I know, put them all on Manhatten Island![/ugly conservative American]