View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
chrisinhouston
Professor

So my 13 year old grandson has been wanting me to teach him to shoot a shot gun. I used to do a lot of shooting, either at clay pigeons or geese or ducks or whatever upland birds we get here in Texas. But I haven't shot any of my shotguns in 2 years or so and even then it was only a once a year goose hunt.

I took him to the local gun range and brought along 2 12 gauge semi automatics and a 20 gauge in case he didn't like the kick of the 12. Before we left the house I drew out the skeet range diagram and explained how it worked and went over safety instructions and gun etiquette.

We got to the range and paid for a round of skeet each, $10 a piece. He's a skinny kid so I was worried he might not like the kick of the gun. We mixed in with a couple of other folks to form a group of 6. I went second and he was 3rd, I hit my 2 singles and got my doubles on station 1 which made me feel pretty good. I stood by him when it was his turn and gave him some pointers and reminders. He shoots and breaks all 4 targets. Wow! We moved on and I my accuracy deminished with a fair number of misses. He continued to hit most of the targets!

When we were done I only broke 10 out of 25, not bad for someone who hasn't shot in awhile I thought. He got 20 out of 25! That is like phenomenal! Especially for a kid who never shot before. We talked about it on the way home and I suggested that since he is really good at football he has an understanding of connecting with a target that is moving down the field. He told me he wants to go a lot more! I suggested he ask his parents for a good shotgun that actually fits closer to his size. I also told my wife I need a new shotgun since mine must have a bent barrel!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote