View Single Post
Old 11-16-2001, 09:29 PM   #7
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally posted by tw

Point 1: Those big institutions don't need a National ID to collect all that information. A National ID system would not help them collect information. They already have everything necessary. It's called a Social Security Number. However since we don't have a National ID system, then anyone can claim to be you and access your private information. IOW without a National ID system, then all that institutional information is available to anyone else.

Point 2: Our individual freedoms and liberties are being violated without protection daily. Those violations will only increase if we do nothing - because you and I have no way to protect our identities. A greatest and growing threat to all individual liberties is the ease of stealing an identity. Even a Bush daughter stole the identity of a MD girl just to buy liquor. The greatest protection from that threat is a system where the individual can prove, when he choses to do so, his identity.

Tell me. Are you wanted for any crimes in any American states? A bench warrant for your arrest in Alaska could exist even though you did nothing. Take a vacation to Alaska and, instead, spend those two week in an Alaska jail. Whose freedoms and liberties were violated simply because no National ID existed?

That identify theft is a direct violation of your liberties, by another in collusion with a goverment that does not let you protect your liberties. Any government that does not provide tools to protect your identity is guilty, by association, of violating your Constitutional and human rights.

You don't want a National ID? Then don't apply for one. But why would you violate my freedoms and liberties by denying me access to identity protection? Why do you use your fears and emotions to violate my freedoms? Do I have no rights simply because of your fears?

Currently there is no system - a National ID system - to protect my rights - my identity. A National ID system does not make it easy for others to collect information on me. Social Security numbers already provides that ability. A National ID is something completely different - if implemented to a proper purpose.

Notice I say "implemented"? Because I have defined a specific purpose and hear no one - critic or advocate - defining the strategic objective of a National ID system. Shame on all of us for having such strong opinions on a system that no one is willing to define.

IOW another's criticism of a National ID system is criticism of a system that only exists in that author's fantasies.

How can one criticize a National ID when one does not even define what that system is? At least I define its strategic objective. At least I also define a serious and growing problem. Others instead would violate my right to protect my privacy because they fear something that they cannot even define?

Phooey. Those same opinions are what we criticized OJ Simpson jurors of using. The only way to fear something not even defined is to be emotional - like an OJ Simpson juror.

Long rant..where do I start...

Point1... Yes there already is a unique identifier (sort of) - usually a SSN. Sometimes they use a UID of their own making. A SSN is unique to every living 'registered' American Citizen; it is supposedly recycled to the living from the dead. It is 'voluntary'. It should not be used to concatinate information, but was a convenient choice for many of these companies (and government organizations) that collect the information. And Yes, people have been defrauded because of the commity of the SSN's use. The act of defrauding occured by criminal individuals or groups. There are laws that attempt to prevent large companies from abusing that information. Sometime organizations choose to violate these laws anyway and they do get hammered for it.

Point 2... I do see your point on that. ID theft by petty criminals is becoming a problems. A definative way of saying I am ME would stop this if it were implimented perfectly and instantly and ONLY under those conditions. Time lags in verification allow these injustices to occur.

<< Tell me. Are you wanted for any crimes in any American states? A bench warrant for your arrest in Alaska could exist even though you did nothing. Take a vacation to Alaska and, instead, spend those two week in an Alaska jail. Whose freedoms and liberties were violated simply because no National ID existed?
>>
No. I doubt that would happen. Possible but not probable.

<< That identify theft is a direct violation of your liberties, by another in collusion with a goverment that does not let you protect your liberties. Any government that does not provide tools to protect your identity is guilty, by association, of violating your Constitutional and human rights.
>>
There is no collusion with the government. The lack of action or a system may be dispicable but it is not an evil thing in itself unless the system is abused in a wholesale fashion. We have laws already in place (albeit somewhat weak) to take care of the individuals who try to steal our identities.

<< You don't want a National ID? Then don't apply for one. But why would you violate my freedoms and liberties by denying me access to identity protection? Why do you use your fears and emotions to violate my freedoms? Do I have no rights simply because of your fears?>>
Are you currently being targeted by ID theives? You simply have no rights to be protected from an individual crime targeting you. Try to find that the police have to gaurd you from evil 24/7 in the constitution and I'll change my mind.
Two other points... 1. 'Voluntary' applies equally to a NID as well as a SSN. Have you ever known anybody who didn't have a SSN and tried to get employment. Because a SSN is pervasivly used, it is not really 'voluntary'. 2. A NID would have to be manditory by law to be effective...think about it. (and don't take things I type so personally)

Some other quick points....
...I never gave a damn about OJ or the verdict as it had no bearing on my life other than filling news casts with redundant garbage.

And YES, I agree with you that WE have no COMMON agreement of what exactly a NID system would be. We could be comparing apples to oranges for all we (both) know.

Have a good evening TW...

Cheers SA
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote