View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #51
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
6-8k is a tricky range. you could get fucked. you could find a peach. take the car to your mechanic to be inspected if the dealer will let you. get the car fax.

It's actually hard to find a car like that at a regular new car dealer. and if you do, they either sell it as-is, or they've done the work to it, and it costs too much. You're probably buying a car that would trade for 4k. for an import that means over 100k.

most salesman have a short list of people that are looking for that kind of car, and as soon as one is traded, it goes.

we DO have an 03 Accord in our inventory that has been here for 67 days, and the new boss wants everything over 60 days to go away. we have about $7377 in that car. if you want to drive up, you can get it for $8377 plus tax, tags. NADA retail value is $10,250.

http://www.cherryhillnissan.com/preo...393A069334.htm

my sister put 200k on her 98 accord. thing is still running.
We'll definitely take it to our mechanic to check it over.

We looked at a Sienna and an Odyssey at that price point last weekend. We brought the kids to check out the back. They quickly destroyed the Sienna. I felt a little bad, but the kids really didn't break it. they just discovered the flaw right away. There is some thumb button up at the top of the sliding doors that you push in to get them to open automatically. They pushed the button in, and the door didn't open and the button got jammed. I looked closely at the button and saw that it had been jammed before and had been pried out. The plastic molding was all scratched up around the button. So they climbed out a different door and we left the salesman there trying to fix the thing.

The Odyssey was nice. Everything worked well. I'm temped to buy it, but my wife decided she didn't want to drive around in a minivan. So we're going to look at mid-sized sedans.

Thanks for the offer on the Accord. It looks very nice. I wish you were local. I'd probably buy it from you. But I can't invest 4-5 hours of driving to get a car I haven't even test driven or had my mechanic check out. I'd be locked in after making that trip. But the math is interesting. Are you giving me the Cellar discount, or would you give that price to a tough negotiator?

NADA retail value (whatever that is) is $10,250
You have it listed for $9995
You are willing to let it go for $8377
It cost you $7377

Are those ratios pretty typical? I'm not even looking at the cars listed for $10k since they are more than I want to spend. Maybe I should be aiming higher in the hopes I can negotiate.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote