Thread: DIY Deck
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #198
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Today the electrician comes to upgrade our electrical service.

--snip--

So the new day one will be *me* crawling under the house in the crawlspace to drag the pair of four conductor (probably AWG 6) cables from the entrance to the crawlspace which is next to the deck under the house to the opposite side of the house where the electrical service, meter, and panel are now.

--snip
corrected.

Let's get started!

First step, open the crawlspace and get in there.

Oh shit.

Name:  IMG_20190511_102003sm.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  483.8 KB

What the ever-flowing fucking fuck?? There is a Lake. of. Shit. under the house???

Stunned. Gutted. Had the shit knocked out of me (which collected in a pool under the house directly at the entrance to the crawlspace). Go on, laugh. All other options are worse.

In this picture, taken a few minutes later, you can see the source of the problem. I have an opening on my main drain, a couple feet from the tub and the toilet and the sink and the main stack from the upstairs bathroom. That big, dark empty circle? That's what the inside of a drainpipe looks like. And if you can see in, water can get out.

Name:  IMG_20190511_102009sm.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  410.4 KB

A keen observer of the first two pictures would have noticed a straight line pointing toward the opening in the drain. I wonder what it points to in the other direction?

Name:  IMG_20190511_102025sm.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  391.7 KB

Did I says source earlier? I was wrong, that's one source, here's the other. This is the drain from the kitchen, the sink and the dishwasher. Another gaping, gushing black hole. It's uphill from the lake, that's why the put lakes where they put them, duh. I need to get into this "area". What the fuck am I gonna do?

Name:  IMG_20190511_112545sm.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  286.1 KB

That straight line is a two inch copper pipe that has FALLEN OUT of its installation between the two fittings at the kitchen and the main drain. How does that happen? I honestly don't know. It doesn't appear to have been soldered in, which is ok, since I will have a clean pipe end and clean (and I use the term mechanically, because, gross) fitting to work with when I reinstall it today.

I'll make another set of pics and notes, probably another thread for this surprise DIY Plumbing Emergency Repair. Meanwhile, if any of you guys have a clue how that pipe fell out, speak up. JFC.