View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #727
Snakeadelic
Banned

Coffee with a little milk and a dash of Bailey's Irish Creme. Morning standard, 1 cup a day or my stomach riots.

When I want to be DRUNK, I make a 21 Lengths. It's an original recipe based on my knowledge of horse racing and my favorite large coffee mug. The mug advertises Man O'War cigars...but just says "Man O'War." That was also the name of an extremely famous racehorse about 100 years ago or so; they called him Big Red in his racing days. His owner and another guy who owned a colt named Sir Barton were locked in one of those sporting hate-feuds and decided to have a match race to see which really was the better horse, since they hadn't run against each other. In horse racing a "length" is the average length of a horse's body from the furthest-forward point of its shoulder to the furthest-back part of its butt, usually about 7-8 feet but officially a "length" is 10 feet. So all the glitterati of the racing world in that era gathered to watch this hugely hyped up 2-horse race.

Man O'War dusted Sir Barton by 21 lengths.

Now if you take, say, 4 oz. of Sprite, a shot or 2 of vodka (depending on how bad you hate your liver), and a splash of any bright-red fruit juice (cranberry blends work great, though I use pomegranate since I despise cranberry), and serve it in a Man O'War mug, you end up naming it something weird like 21 Lengths.

Some years we get all fancy and do the Bucket O Blood. This one's seasonal because I insist on hand-juicing the blood oranges. Take the juice from about 2 blood oranges, pollute it with vodka and maybe a dash of a blood orange & passionfruit liqueur called Rated X, and throw in some fancy nautical theme novelty ice cubes, and enjoy in late winter & early spring. I have lots of nautical ice cube trays...skull & crossbones, shark fins, Titanic and iceberg, fish, you name it.

Maybe one of these days I'll remember and post the recipe for what started out as a homemade irish creme substitute and ended up getting named Chocolate-Covered Mule after my best friend tried a swig once and said "It's like getting kicked in the head by a chocolate-covered mule...and liking it!"
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote