View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #69
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I hated Blair Witch Project.
I couldn't hear what they were saying, I couldn't see what they were seeing.
The characters were whiny and irritating.
Walking out of the cinema, I heard at least three different interpretations about what was in the handkerchief for example. That's not scary, that's, "What IS it? What IS it?" Breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I was able to believe in PA. It was well lit, I could hear everything. And of course it was set in one of the scariest places in the world (to me) - someone's home. Home is where you should feel safest. Home is where you run to and lock the doors and the vampires can't come in and if you've got good enough security neither can the zombies or werewolves or bailiffs.

I am so used to horror films that make me jump. That's fun. But for a slow building atmosphere of unease and tension, I'd go with PA every time.

I'm not trying to change the mind of those who didn't enjoy it - I know perfectly well that you either like something or you don't. But to those who haven't yet given it a try, do. Just approach it as a film that many people have been spooked by. And don't expect Freddy Kreuger to be jumping out from the cupboard at any point.

Dana - no I haven't yet. Was intending to get round to it though. I'm pretty sure we Sky-plused it.