Thread: My First Knife
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #74
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I should have a WIP pic to show here in a couple of days. I bought two dozen various clamps and have been able to do a bit of work with some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Can you make a rough estimate what it would cost to have a unique knife like that, made by a big name maker like White?
I'm with F3 on the price. No less than $4-5k and as much as $8k. Maybe as high as $10-$12k depending on how much of a name John White is. (I don't keep up with the collector market.) It is a full-on art knife. It will not be used. Never. Okay, it might if you are very rich or you are just slicing scraps of paper.

John probably has at least 40 hours in that knife, and probably more like 60-80. Then there is time for the sheath maker and inlay/engraver. I don't have much idea how long those two things take, but I wouldn't be surprised if the total number of hours on this knife didn't top 120 hours.

You can easily bring the price down if you compromise on the blade (pattern, not quality), engraving and sheath. I bet you could get a nice usable d-guard bowie for about $1k. That would have a simple sheath, plain steel blade and stainless fittings.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote