View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 01:49 PM   #30
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Beletseri
I already answered that question. It bothers me because I suspect that they are wild caught and held in small cages indefinately until killed.

Whether it makes sense to you or not makes no difference to me. Wild animals have experience a life of their own making and have, for lack of a better word, expectations of freedom based on their previous existence. It isn't the killing that bothers me so much (for example with hunting), it is the mass rounding up of these animals.

If you had ever experienced the difference between a wild mouse and a lab mouse you might understand what I mean. Animals bred in captivity are different than wild ones. The wild animal when caged is totally stressed and frantic and then over time, despondent. The domestic animal in a cage is at home because that is what it knows.
So it's fine to be dead, but not fine to be without freedom? But, it's OK to be without freedom, if you have never known it? *shakes head* Whatever.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beletseri
It isn't the death that is a problem to me, it is the prolonged suffering. And btw, I buy grass-fed beef and free range chicken and their eggs so I am not being hypocritical.
It is to laugh. You do realize that "free range" chickens means only one thing: There has to be some kind of door way in their pen to where they can get outside. This is to say, and often is the case, I can have a barn, with 5000 chickens in it, and as long as there is a door way, say 12 inches, by 12 inches, to a pen outside that is, say three feet by three feet, that my chickens can be labeled as "free range". Yes that is how the free range label works. That is a perfectly valid example of "free range" chickens.

As for grass fed beef, what's that for, so you don't get mad cow? "Farmed" cattle are hardly treated well. You're only trying to fool yourself if you think otherwise. You're an amusing fellow. Pathetic in your own right, but amusing for all the wrong reasons.

Oh, and don't think you're being educational or something about the Jains. I've heard of them years and years ago. The point is, I do what I'm able. You do what you feel like, what lets you sleep easier. I don't eat any animal products because I don't have to. I don't kill anything if at all humanly possible. Yes, I watch where I walk. No, I don't ever kill bugs in my house. No, I don't have mice in my house, never have. I don't kill spiders, mosquitoes, etc. It's just me. I personally don't care what you eat or why you eat it.

I really don't care what you do. But don't be surprised when I pop back up with a comment or two on how stupid your ideals are, or how hypocritical you are.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote