View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I'm sorry it comes off as I'm assuming but in terms of race, no white American can say they know what it's like to be a minority in America.
I disagree.

Quote:
O RLY? If the trailer trash girl had a heart of gold I'd try her on for size.
Well that's swell and lovely of you, but there are things that mark someone out as being from a particular socio-economic background as surely as skin colour can indicate race. You may be perfectly accepting of that girl, but many people wouldn't. You may be perfectly happy employing someone who is from that background, but many wouldn't. Most states and cities will have areas that are so known and despised/feared that to send a resume to an employer, with that as your address is a pointless exercise.

Socio-economic background can affect your accent, your use of language, your educational opportunities and even your vocabulary. Yes, ethnic background is a factor, but it is not the only factor. Race prejudice is not the only prejudice.

Do you think someone in a wheelchair has no idea what it's like to be discriminated against? What about a gay man? A lesbian?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote