View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 AM   #2
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I think it also has a lot to do with prepackaged and premade foods. If they can buy scrambled eggs prepackaged, why should they learn to do it the "hard way"? Most foods come in some prepared way, heat and eat if you will.

My grandparents had a "residential home for mentally ill adults" for years when I was a kid. I remember my grandmother telling me how hard it was to find help. They even had women with children who we're clueless in the kitchen. One woman in her 40s didn't know how to boil water.... And this was 20-30 years ago. When asked how she and her grown children had gotten by, she said she always bought food with instructions on the label or they ate out.

It was sad really. Thankfully my grandmother and family taught me how to cook. While this is ultimately the parent's job to teach their child basic skills for life (like cooking), IMHO they should teach cooking basics to all high schoolers. Maybe for some it would be redundant, but the knowledge would be invaluable to some (especially those with parents just as clueless as their kids).