View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #32
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
There's a cheese limit?
There is, but it's an EU specification, so we'll be fine now, after Brexit.
Ditto the Merkins after Trump, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
cash can't improve class
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Definitive answer. I think money can make things easier, but it cannot buy class.
Depends on your definition of class.
You can be classy in a dress bought from the market, but you'll never own "land".
You can treat people with decency and respect and still be sneered at for not having the right school tie.

Class as in caste is outdated. But if you mean simply good manners, I mostly agree. Except as I've said before, they vary from place to place. As a waitress in London I served very polite people who left a tip which probably wouldn't have paid for their children's crayons. And served Merkins who never said please or thank you, and summoned me with a wave of the hand, and the tip they left bought my groceries for a week.

Same with other nationalities. The French hate you mangling their language; the Sri Lankans love that you bothered to learn a few words; the Dutch simply can't understand what you are saying because it's such a tricky language to learn (by European standards)

On balance I think I'd rather have money. If what I was taught as good manners doesn't translate, at least currency does.