View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #1887
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

South Dakota's biggest export being $91m worth of distillery dregs puzzles me.

Does this refer to alcohol production? If so, most of the booze produced must never leave the state.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the 'dregs' are the byproduct of ethanol production and are used for stock feed.

Quote:
Ethanol

Ethanol is environmentally friendly, renewable, safe and it contributes to our energy independence.

Using ethanol reduces harmful auto emissions and reduces our dependence on foreign oil and expensive domestic crude oil.

One bushel of field corn yields 2.8 gallons of fuel ethanol and 17.5 pounds of high protein dried distillers grain for livestock feed.

15.3 billion gallons of ethanol production helped bring net oil import dependence down to 25 percent in 2016.

Ethanol decreases the price of gasoline by 50 cents to $1.50 less per gallon.

Ethanol use reduces carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and other pollutants.

The Renewable Fuel Standard, or RFS, reduced motor fuel GHG emissions by 43.5 metric tons in 2016, that’s like removing nine million cars from the road for an entire year.

Economic Impact of Ethanol

Ethanol production adds value to U.S. agricultural products and brings billions of dollars into the nation’s economy each year.

In 2016, the production of 15.3 billion gallons of ethanol directly employed 340,000 Americans.

In 2016, ethanol added $23 billion in the pockets of Americans.

Learn more about ethanol and the Renewable Fuels Standard at the Renewable Fuels Association
South Dakota Corn

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? It has been known.