View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #5874
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

B*I*G row with Mum last night.

Yes, I triggered it.
She coughs when she eats bread products.
No diagnosis, no medical issue - but she does. Cough I mean.
And she has an annoying cough.

I'm sensitive to noise.
Have been since I was a child.
I caused so many arguments at the dinner table because of my brother's eating habits (slapping his chops et al) that Mum told me I was going to be put in a home (ie turned over to Social Services)

So I admit I was probably flinching and grimacing every time Mum coughed
And yes, I did turn up the TV when Winslow came on. It's a local village, and one where I spent a lot of time aged 14-16. "Local" news is usually Reading or Bournemouth, over 100 miles away rather then 7.

She picked up her meal and went to eat it in the living room. Telling my Dad and I exactly why. Pointing out also that it was her bloody house and she paid half of the bloody bills and what did I contribute?

We carried on, but after dinner she came back in to say no-one ever defended her. Dad said nothing to dened her but he always slagged me off behind me back, he didn't want me here, why wasn't he honest about it.... Again, that it was her own house and she could do as she wanted and what right did I have to react like that. Etc, etc

I shouted back.
I did.
I admit it.

I went upstairs to cry. Dad did the washing and drying up. She stormed out.
Haven't seen her since, but apparently she is out with Maureen today, and her teacup was in the sink, so she must have come home last night.

This has been brewing a while.
I copped it.
Really - I hold my hands up about my reaction. But d'ya know what? Had she diffused it by saying, "I can't help coughing!" I'd have smiled and apologised. No, she had to make a scene. She's raised this whole "my house" thing before. When she threatened to smash Dad's face in because he admitted not knowing whether to follow my directions rather than hers.

She's a bloody scary woman.
I suppose I love her.
I certainly want her approval.
But there is a small part of me that wants to bring her down to earth and tell her exactly how things are.
All her friends and accquaintances adore her. Anyone I meet who knows her tells me what a lovely woman she is. How caring. How loving. What a great example of a Christian.

They don'e see the screaming, the threats, the bullying and how we're all terrified of her temper.

Sorry.
I needed to offload.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote