View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #53
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
It says Level 3... did you grab onto somebody else's wireless by accident?
Yeah, well, I said Verizon, but our dsl is actually provided to us through CTI Networks, who I think re-sells the Verizon dsl service. We went with CTI years ago when we had a Mac, and Verizon told us they wouldn't support a Mac. Their DSL modems only worked with PCs. CTI would give us an actual router, so we went with them instead. Now that we have a PC, we're staying with CTI due primarily to inertia.

Can't be the neighbor's signal either because we use Ethernet cables, not WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Your speed is a function of a chain that includes your computer, computer's ethernet or WiFi interface, router, other 'neighborhood' users, DSL/cable signal strength, DSLAM, etc. With numbers that low, then I would looking at each chain link; suspect some serious hardware failures exist.
Well, the download speed was one tenth what it normally is, and the upload speed was about normal. Our setup hasn't changed, although I did run Windows update the day before, and I also installed the new version of the Avast antivirus software. I'm assuming that it's the ISP's fault and that everything will be fine when I try it tonight.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote