Thread: Are you handy?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

On Sunday, I cleaned the roof thoroughly, and we got the paper nailed down. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after work, say, 6 pm to 9 pm each night, was spent cutting and nailing the edge strips. Thursday night, I got to actually cover some roof with the roll material. I measured it out so that it started on the west eave and extended across the valley to the east. This was about 26 feet. I unrolled a new roll on the grass, measured it and cut it. I rerolled it and carried it to the roof. After a false start as to which way to position the roll (it does have an up and down edge in addition to the obvious top and bottom surface), I decided to save myself the trouble of throwing it down, climbing down, reversing the roll direction, and carrying it back up again just so I could start at the eave edge. So, I took a guess, and started the roll at the valley and unrolled toward the western eave.

My guess was pretty good. I was short by two inches. Good guess, but that meant that I now had a fifty pound 3x26 foot sheet of flexible material I needed to push/pull two inches to the west. And ZERO inches to the south--DOWNHILL. After some fiddlefartin around, I got it in place. The upper selvage edge is now secure, but the lower edge is free floating. I haven't applied the cement yet. I am thinking about waiting to have all the strips in place before I apply any cement.

I will also measure more carefully for the next rolls as I move uphill. It's 14 feet from the top edge of that bottom roll to the ridge. I think I'll make that seven two foot exposures, with a generous one foot overlap. That means I need to go get two more rolls from the store though.

Forecast for the weekend: Rain.

Pic 01: Starting from the valley, guessing how far the roll will extend.

Pic 02: Pretty good guess, within 2". In this picture, it's all nailed down after being adjusted westward. I didn't take any pictures of the adjustment work. I'm just thankful to be alive. It was a handful.
Attached Images