Thread: Cellar code?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2001, 04:06 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The way they've set up this system, one can change just about everything from a set of "templates". The HTML for the site is kept in mysql databases and yanked out to display whatever is called for at any given time. It's a cute way to put it all together.

I don't particularly care for any updates that people have made to the code. At some point it requires a heavier moderation system, but that's all. See, the thing is, the web-based BBS/forum system has taken a while to evolve to this point. Each of us may have to participate in several different forums - if not now, maybe sometime in the future.

I myself have logins to about 8 different forums, and on each one I have to learn a slightly different interface. I'm at the point now where I'm thinking "oh yeah, they have slashcode and they've modified that..." Whereas when I participate in a vBulletin-based forum with few changes, I navigate around it right quick.

It would be better if we had a very standard interface for forums, and then a documented format/protocol for the data in them - so someone could either browse and participate on the home system, or search, meta-display or syndicate the content on a different system.

Hey, somebody has to think about this shit!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote