View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
glatt

After sleeping late this morning and getting some breakfast, we headed down into the shop to start the next step. The silicone rubber takes 24 hours to cure, so we had to do it Saturday morning to be able to pour pewter on Sunday.

I had gone over to my cousin's house that I am selling and that is full of a lifetime of junk, and picked through his stamp collecting organizing bins. In all the empty tubs of margarine, and plastic bowls were these chicken pot pie plates. Not sure if he bought these new or saved them and cleaned them, but they were the perfect size. We hot glued our plaster emblem things to the bottom of these little pie plates.
Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  167.1 KB
And I applied Vaseline as a sealer and mold release. If you ever have the chance yourself, don't do that. It was a mistake. The Vaseline filled in all the detail. I tried using an artist's brush to remove some, but it didn't work.
Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  122.2 KB
So I though about it a bit and went upstairs to get a hair dryer. I heated the thing up, and the Vaseline just melted and dripped right off. Perfect.
Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  136.1 KB
So the detail is back!
Name:  image004.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  103.3 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote