View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #31
regular.joe
Старый сержант

What I find interesting in todays world of sound bites is that 100,000 Iraqis have died as a result of the United States. We just took the lid off, to leave it open like that sure makes it sound like U.S. soldiers have been wandering around Iraq killing 100,000 Iraqis. However miss guided we were for going into Iraq; we did, in good conscience, try to keep the lid on a bit tighter then it would have been had we just left in 2003. Most of the killing of Iraqis has been by Iraqis and fighters from foreign countries like Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, etc... I have not really heard this discussed at any length by anyone outside of the military. There certainly is a depth to this topic that cannot be covered in one post in this thread. The dynamic of Shia VS Sunni VS tribe/family/clan VS government power VS foreign influence VS whateverthefuckelseyoucanthinkoftofightabout is amazing in countries like Iraq. What the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld leadership of the day did not get right in any way shape or form was to topple the country and then the very next day hand it over to the general population and say...no need to thank me...here ya go! Even in post WWII Germany/Europe and Japan we set up military governors and city mayors etc that ran and administered the countries and communities until the military administrators were able to leave. In some cases 20 to 30 years later. I for one do not think that what we have gained and what we have lost as a result of invading and occupying Iraq has been or will be worth the results. We will be feeling the pain from this one for years to come.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote