Thread: Merry Whatever
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #21
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhatcher
Why? because I would love to visit other countries and learn about their culture and experience another view of the world. Perhaps celebrate their customs and have a good time. That is becoming more and more difficult to do as people move and merge. I think a homogenized world would be very boring.
I love that people move and merge because it allows me to experience bits of other cultures by simply driving down the street rather than being isolated from them by oceans and borders. I, too, think a homogenized world would be very boring and that's exactly why I think having everyone "start over" in their country of origin would be awful. I don't want to live in a homogenized culture. Issues of ideas and religions aside: the food in the US would suck!

Quote:
I think it's sad that we can't show an interest in a different culture. On the contrary, we are now offended by others much to easily. I think that sucks.
We can't show an interest? Why not? I think most people do, although I understand why you might think most people are easily offended by other cultures because they're so different from our own. I think the idea of "starting over", again, would reinforce the idea of those differences and the separation between cultures, making it far worse than it currently is. Every person I know that holds a generalized dislike of any culture/religion/race has it because they don't interact with the people they fear.

Quote:
I don't want to travel to the other side of the planet and eat at McDonald's.
Then don't. If you're an adventurous enough traveler and don't follow the line of tourists or pay for the silly guided tours when you go to other countries, you'll have absolutely no problem finding the good stuff.

I live in the US and its very rare that I eat at a chain, especially when on the road. Come to think of it, I haven't set foot in a McDonald's in more than ten years...
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote