View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 03:01 PM   #12
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by hermit22
This is more rhetoric. While Hussein has been horrible to his people, he has shown no signs of invading other nations since he was pushed out of Kuwait a decade ago. Don't get me wrong - he's a horrible man, the perpetrator of gross human rights violations - but he is no Hitler. His country is not in the economic situation that Germany was before World War II. Do you know that 4k-6k Iraqis die every month as a direct result of the economic sanctions? You wouldn't have seen any such statistics about 1930s Germany.
All I'm saying is that you cannot positively tell me that a similar situation won't arise. And then suppose it does - what then?

I guess we should wait until he detonates a nuke-yoo-lar device in NYC. Or until we find out that he's gassing hundreds of thousands of his civilians. Yes.

Or perhaps we should just insist on inspections? And act really tough, like we won't back down, so that we can determine he doesn't have such weapons?

Ja, maybe the inspections are necessary, and we need to force them. So maybe we need to convince the world and Hussein that we mean business, 'cause otherwise he's just going to fuck around with us and not let inspectors in.