Thread: Drones
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
glatt

I got a drone for Christmas. It's technically a drone because it flies and is remote controlled and has a camera. But I consider it a toy because the transmitter only reaches 100 feet. Once it's out of range, it lands, (often in a tree.)

I'm not sure what regulations apply to me, but I think all the drone regulations do. And I read some FAA rule about proximity to airports, and I'm just within the 5 mile no-fly zone of my local airport. I understand the reasoning for that rule, but it's kind of ridiculous that it's against the law for me to walk down the street to the softball field and fly this thing around at a 50 foot elevation, but I can get a super long string and fly a kite at hundreds of feet from the same field and nobody will blink an eye.

Not sure what the point of my post is, other than to point out all the confusion about the rules and how some of them are ridiculous. If you make ridiculous rules, people will get used to ignoring the rules, and they may ignore rules that aren't so ridiculous.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote