View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #618
gadfly
Resident-in-Training

To me - the Healthcare debate/situation is very similar to when Clinton introduced it in 93. Conservatives run their propaganda to create fear and confusion. Clinton wasn't focused enough on this issue to make it happen.

What is diseartening is that Obama has waffled on the public option. The progressives came out and said no to Obama on this-- which was the appropriate response. True reform cannot happen without a gov't run system.

The conservatives for over 40+ years have had a bull's eye on rolling back the New Deal at all costs. They have chaged the tax system - so the rich get richer. Remeber privatize Social Security? They have continually deregulated since the the time of Regan. Why do you think the middle class was fooled into believing that they could afford a 350,000 home when they make 50000 a year. DEREGULATION. or maybe they believed in "Living the American Dream"- I guess.
Rich get richer again.

Is civic virtue dead or has it been dead? (To the citizens that say - why should I care about people having no health insurance?)

For those who say the government can't run anything right --I have a few friends that are veterans that go to the VA hospital for treatment and they have very minimal complaints (no one is ever happy about any system are they?). Sign a form - no money exchanged - need meds? get them in 2 days in the mail--easy. That is true "socialized" medicine in the USA. Maybe that is not efficient enough for most people?

If this does not go through will it be another in a long list of citizen complaints that assert that corporations run the USA not a government for the people by the people-----(that would be on both sides of the aisle).

Is this our last chance for "universal" healthcare?

BTW - whatever happened to reforming Caimpaign finance? Could this be needed before we have true Health Care reform? In our current system are our representatives truly held accountable to the people?

Respond to any - all - or none.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-02-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: see next post
gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote