Thread: Election 2012
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #349
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I really have to give the Obama camp people in my area some kudos for effort.

The voting laws changed in Virginia. The new requirements aren't complicated, but the change would catch some who weren't prepared off-guard. Ever since around mid-August, I've been getting home visits and door-hanger pamphlets from groups supporting Obama. Each and every time, the material they left behind had a huge section that explained the changes in the voting laws, how and where to register to vote and what you would need to show when you got to the front of the line. When I actually opened my door to one of the home visits, they asked directly if I had any questions on how to register or what to bring. This past weekend, I had no less than 5 visit attempts. I stopped answering the door because 1) their efforts were wasted on me, that is I already was registered and knew what I needed well before this effort and 2) cmon... lemme have my weekend in peace! But even so, I was glad they were out there doing this.

I have not once ever gotten a home visit or a leave-behind from any of Romney's supporters. No fliers with reasons to vote for him, no fliers with reasons to not vote for Obama, no fliers with info on how to register or what to bring to the voting station. There could be a bunch of reasons why, such as this area was too blue for them to bother, or red enough so they didn't feel they needed to, or his local camps had a lousy print media budget, or there just wasn't a Romney camp presence like Obama's in my area or... I just know that, if I was really on the fence trying to decide and had my misgivings about both candidates, I'd feel the Obamatons want me to be involved in this process and Romneyites don't give a whatsit. And while that alone isn't enough reason to vote for someone, with all the encouragement by both candidates to get people to go out and vote, it does make it look better for him. I would also think his camp would be doing all they can to curry favor and, by proxy, some votes from people all over the state since even he says it's an important battleground state he really wants to win.

Romney: "Go vote!"
Obama: "Go vote! Here's how!"

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote