View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #95
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Juniper's right--Netflix is awesome. I have four "Watch Instantly" devices in the house, plus the computers. It's like having a Blockbuster down the hall past the kitchen. We watch a lot of movies.

Last night was Blood Sucking Freaks. I give it two stars out of five. A typical Troma production. Surprising humor, very gory, occasional clothing, and degrading humiliation in practically every scene.

Before that--

Howl's Moving Castle, five stars. Outstanding work. Miyazaki is a genius. A moving castle and a moving story. I found the voice acting to be delightful, especially Billy Crystal as Calcifer.

Castle in the Sky, five stars. I also loved this one though it was more of a romp and considerably less subtle.

Stomp Live, five stars. Streamed, and it has been rewatched many times in the past month. I may wind up purchasing it just to save bandwidth.

The Botany of Desire, five stars. I didn't realize I'd been domesticated by the potato. I, for one, welcome our shoestringed, mashed, and scalloped overlords. Plus, I like tulips.

In the theater, Avatar (3D, and Imax 3D), four stars. Inglorious Basterds, three stars. Where the Wild Things Are, five stars. wrt Where the Wild Things Are, I was delighted to have my .... low expectations exceeded so dramatically. The film expresses the emotion and confusion of feelings without words. I mean the film does a fine job of conveying what cannot be articulated.