Thread: Camping
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #47
glatt

The downside to lanterns is that they shoot light in all directions, including into your eyes, slightly blinding you. Do you have a flashlight? If you already have a flashlight, you don't need a lantern. Lanterns can be nice though, especially when they are somewhat directional and you can aim them where you want. I have a solar powered one that can be hung from a cord or a nail or something, and aim downward onto a table. It's pretty nice, but more expensive. Also, headlamps are very popular with solo backpackers, and for good reason. The light shines where you are looking, and you can keep your hands free. I don't care for headlamps in a Boy Scout camping trip because when you say something, all the boys look at you and you get a dozen lights shining in your eyes.

I have this lantern. It's not super bright, but lights up a tent or your table.

But looking for my lantern on Amazon, I came across these that look like they might be pretty good. They are bright and aim down so you aren't blinded. You can charge them at home or put them in the sun to charge. Supposedly they are also a power brick for you phone, but I bet that's BS. Phones need a lot of power.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote