View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

There is such a cultural aspect to this, though. What works in USA won't work in UK and vice versa.

IMO(/experience)

continuing with the gas/petrol example. Here in the USA, there are so many places where there are gas stations of equal quality on kitty-corner/diagonally opposite/ sides of an intersection/junction, and one is 10¢ more expensive than the other, but both are equally busy. Brits for sure would go to the cheaper one even if it's an awkward turn. Or the one with the better rewards if the prices are really, really close.... but 10¢ isn't really close.

Here is there is a a real culture of paying for convenience that may be developing in the UK, but even if it is, I suspect it still has a long way to go to be comparable. Plus roads have fewer lanes, so it's often a lot less inconvenient/difficult to do that in the UK

I see price/location are fairly equal in the study. So I guess the gas example to demonstrate the cultural differences is not the best because the two main ideas occupy the two main and equal spots in the study, but it really expands beyond that.

When I was in the UK it was all about price. for me. Now I won't cross the road to save just a penny per gallon. But I don't know how much of that is cultural and how much is temporal. I'm nearly 20 years older and much better off, and have learned that my time is valuable too. When I need gas on the freeway, I used to watch the prices as the tank started to get low and pull over when I saw the one that was cheaper. Now I push it to the last drop so I have to stop and fill less often. I'm sure i't not all temporal however. When my sister and my peers visit from the UK -who are olso older ans wealthier, I see them as skinflints and they see me as a wanton spendthrift.

There are also differing levels of legislation which feed/support these cultural differences. I cannot believe that people "buy" some of the crap in advertising here, and I know some here in the USA cannot believe the restrictions on advertising and thus consumer choice that the UK law imposes.

Last edited by monster; 05-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote