View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Snakeadelic
Banned

Am I the only kaiju fan on The Cellar???

So, in 2014 we made a Godzilla movie that really honked off a lot of fans with the whole "8 minutes of Godzilla footage" despite raking in huge bucks at the box office.

Toho Studios decided this was a good reason to make their own new Godzilla movie (Toho has always owned Godzilla) which they planned to call Godzilla: Resurgence. They changed it to Shin Godzilla after the Independence Day sequel copped the 'Resurgence' part.

Then they told us that the US would have to wait until next year and only get to see Shin Godzilla on DVD. Apparently I wasn't the only one un-thrilled by this decision, because at this year's San Diego Comic Con a bunch of folks from Funimation Studios announced they have the streaming, Blu-Ray, DVD, and theatrical distribution rights to Shin Godzilla. I about had a heart attack and started prowling the Net for news.

It's gonna be a limited release, something like 440 theaters for 1 week. The closest theater to my house that will have it is in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and their manager is apparently an idiot. Told us to call back SIX DAYS before opening night to find out if the theater was going to have it or not (Funimation sure thinks they will!). We also got an uber-snotty email from Regal Cinemas, the parent chain, telling us that just because they OWN the theater and dictate EVERY detail down to how much butter is on your popcorn does NOT obligate them to set show times so just sit your butts down and wait like good little monkeys.

So we're going to Idaho Falls instead. Over Chief Joseph Pass, probably. http://tinyurl.com/zhcp7cx Note both the elevation and the fact that we will be hopping OVER the Continental Divide. In October. Somehow, in his skulking online for info, my neighbor got us OPENING NIGHT tickets! I've been a Godzilla nut since I was about 10, and this will be the first time I get to see a Japanese-made Godzilla movie in a theater. Excited? Me? VERY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvFEspENxIU
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote