View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #1059
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Is it difficult hitting a target temperature with that thing and keep close to it?

Do you just adjust the gas valve to get a low steady flame to maintain a temp on that thing?
It's taken a bit of experimenting to get to where I feel confident. Ideally as a smoker you would get it to 200-225 and let it do it's thing, it has a pan for wet wood chips. I turn on the propane tank and then the smoker and get it up to 400 or so. Then I put in what I am cooking and drop the heat control valve a bit. Since what I put in is cold it drops it to 350 or so and I just check it a few times over the next 10-15 minutes which isn't hard as I can look out the back kitchen window and see the thermometer on the door. I just adjust the valve on the smoker for the burner as needed.

The only time it gets real squirrely is if we have had a lot of rain or it is raining hard. The humidity seems to make it harder to get up to temperature.

So far I've baked pies, casseroles and roasted whole chickens with pretty good success. I also bake sweet potatoes and other vegetable dishes in it. We got a big crock pot when my mother in law down sized and I had never had one before but use it now for things I used to slow cook/braise in the oven before it died. When we tore out all the old kitchen cabinets to start our redo I had set our oven on a temporary stand and used it but then it died and was too expensive to bother fixing as it was 12 years old. I actually sold it on Craig's list as is for $80 which surprised me.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote