View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2350
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It just seems pointless and cruel to take this tack with someone if you believe they really are compulsive.

[eta] I remember years ago, in amongst my circle of mates was a lad who used to lie a lot. Sometimes wild and fasntastical lies. We used to call him 'Balloon Geoff' because he was always 'ballooning' - wild lies. So...we took what he said with a seriously large pinch of salt. And sometimes we'd take the piss. Looking back we might occasionally have been cruel too. But he didn't stop being our mate because of it. It was just how he was. Just like another guy was uber sensitive and would take offence at practically anything. You just muddle along together as friends, and if someone is a bit of a ballooner, you nod along when they're spinning and let it all go over your head. From time to time we'd call him out on something, but mostly we accepted that that was who he was. And that was that.

I have no idea if he was a compulsive liar...or just a lad with an overactive imagination and profound need to impress.

Last edited by DanaC; 07-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote