View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #125
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yesterday I watched the first episode of Sense8. I was a bit dubious about it, when I read the premise when it was first being talked about, and when I saw the promos, though I was also intrigued. I've been through the Lost experience since then, so the presence of Naveen Andrews became more of a pull for me.

As pilots go it was pretty impressive. It was a little difficult to follow in places, but I didn't really mind that - it gave enough context to get a hook on the story and characters and keep me interested. Unlike a lot of pilots I found myself quite quickly invested in a number of the characters. and whilst some of the mood sequences were a little overlong, I thought they did a lot of really interesting stuff in terms of visual tone. I liked the way the narrative jumped between the main characters, and how they were visually and thematically linked - really got a sense that we were moving between them in an organic fashion that, presumably, mirrors the way these people are mentally linked.

Some nicely brave choices too. A scene in which two young women shag, with Freema Agyemon wearing a strap on? That ain't something you see every day. The fact that it didn't seem gratuitous or uncouth is interesting - it was treated like any other love scene on a show. We later find out (in a really nice and low key way) that Agyemon's girlfriend is a transwoman.

What I love about this couple is that whilst them being a lesbian and transwoman is obviously a part pf who they are - a big part, as they are activists and very into the Pride scene - it's not what the show is focused on. The show is focused on the relationship between them as two people in love. It isn't treated any differently to any other love-match you might see on tv. And both are recognisable, engaging and relatable characters in a relationship that feels real and organic.

I really like the cop too. Though his storyline included some of the clumsier attempts at social commentary (or maybe clumsy is the wrong word - I liked what they were saying, but there was a bit of a sense of being clubbed over the head with it). Couldn't figure out where I'd seen him before but knew I'd seen him in something I liked. Was thinking maybe BSG? I could see him in a uniform of some sort - gave up in defeat and googled him : Stargate Universe! I remember now.

And really, really liked the Indian girl. The scene where she goes to the temple to make offerings was so well played.

So - yeah - I wasn't really expecting anything all that great with this show - but the pilot really impressed me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote