Thread: Tolerance
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #126
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I understand. But try and see things from his perspective on this one. Such a sensitive thing as sexuality and gender identity. And, as we all know (:p) very specifically a sensitive issue for Ibs and one which h/she has grappled with through various levels of confusion, depression, elation, confidence and fear...

And JB trampled heavily on that ground. Several really nasty comments driving straight to the very heart of why that stuff hurts so disproportionately to the actual harm done.

Now, I am not saying it was a one-sided affair. Ibs has said some things to/about JB that I find uncomfortable also. But again, and again, across a period of about 4 weeks, JB found occasion to make snide comments either about Ibs, or more generally about gay, queer, transgender people. Most often these comments were ignored by all. On one occasion I recall classicman called JB out on one of them, and told him he was being a real dick making comments like that. But on the whole we ignored it. And you, ignored it.

but it's kind of difficult to ignore when you are the person being alluded to in a series of shitty comments about how little your kind matters, and how it's your kind that cause the world's ills, and how your kind will have no place in the world he envisages and hopes for.

You ignored most of JB's bitchy comments. Why not show Ibs the same regard?

Because he's annoyingly evangelical about diversity and gender stuff? Because he approaches these things with the kind of zeal that actually serves to undermine some o fthe basic tenets of that acceptance? Well, hell he's a youngster. We all discover this shit for the first time, and we all understand in a way our parents and elders never could, and we all go through those things in one form or another.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote