View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #80
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Oh, I get what you're saying. You probably feel I'm going to great lengths to shoot down a simple, logical, premise. But, I don't agree with your basic premise that the billions Bush is squandering in Iraq is entirely, if at all, about keeping oil flowing. I then explained why it's unfair and unworkable.

Besides all the other reasons for this Iraq fiasco, I think it has more to do with getting the guy that made Daddy look stupid, than with oil.
Maybe it's logical to feel it's about oil because Bush's other reasons are stupid, but I think Bush and logic have been proven to mutually exclusive.
Ever since the Iraq war began, we've been talking here about the reasons for it. As each reason hasn't made sense, Dwellars have been coming up with new ones to try to explain it. First it was all about an imminent threat of attack by Saddam. That was proven wrong. Then some said it was about a sticky flypaper trap to get terrorists all in one spot, but that seems a little too convoluted. Then others said it was about trying to build a pro-US democracy in the middle of the region. A base we could operate from. That makes the most sense to me. It might not be why Bush decided to attack in the first place, but we will probably never know his reasons. Maybe you are right. Maybe it's personal. I'm not sure anyone knows.

In the big picture, it seems to me that historically we have spent an awful lot of time, energy, money, and blood focused on that one region of the world. It's quite a cooincidence that it is also where the oil is. There are more muslims in other parts of the world (Indonesia) where we don't pay any attention. It's got to be the oil. Not the people. Not the religion.

I understand that we NEED the oil. But I just think it would be nice if there was some way to pass the costs along to the end users of oil so there will be some incentive for people to actually conserve.

We had a drought a few summers ago. It was in the news for a while. Most people voluntarily stopped watering their grass and just let it go dormant. A small number of people kept watering their lawns so they would stay nice and lush. I can't fathom that attitude, and I think it's the same attitude that many americans have toward oil use. Except that they don't realize we are in an oil drought because the price at the pump is so cheap. If they only knew. If it was right in their face as they pumped, they might make better choices.

I'm not trying to be all preachy and holier than thou, but I know I probably come across that way. I use oil too. I think most people will make the right choices when they are presented with information. I think most people simply don't think about it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote