View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #12402
monster
I hear them call the tide

Happy probably isn't the right thread, I now realize, but I typed a shit-ton, so here it stays.... I am happy Thunderboy has no additional points on his License....but.....

I cannot believe how easy it is to get out of points on your driver's licence is here/how fucked up the system is.

First, we went to court at 9am for Thunderboy's "informal hearing" about his 3-point 53 in a 40 speeding ticket from December (the first day driving after he blew a 4-way stop and took out two other cars and the front bumpers off the minivan (for which he got 2 points and a $130 fine because we just dealt online not knowing any better....)).

There were maybe 100 people there, many seemed seasoned offenders and even they were surprised by the volume. I think it might have been first session after the holidays....

anyhoo, one by one, they were called out of the courtroom by the cops who booked them. Thankfully, he was among the first. No hearing, pretty much "ok, so I'mm'a change this speeding ticket to a double-parking which has no points and is $200. OK?" So no points. (when he was pulled over, the cop told him to go to court to avoid points, otherwise we never would have been there (bless his little shiny badge))

Took the little shit to college for his one class. Tried to grocery shop in the interim but couldn't actually find a store despite/because of my new GPS (hate GPS but got one for vacation)

Picked LS up, and on the way home took him to another court two miles down the road from the first to deal with the ticket for the accident while I was on vacation that totaled the car that still wasn't fixed from the last accident). Went to desk, he asked about the fine and points. Nice woman at desk said "$180 and two points ..how is your driving record?" He told her 2-3 points. She said "would you like me to talk to the officer and see if he's ok with changing it to something without points? It will cost $20 more" so ... of course... cop said yes, another $200 but no points. Another citation for double-parking.

So OK this was good for us for WTF?

Also, whilst I'm almost ranting, How much of a joke is it that the "pre-check" status to get through security at the airport more easily -previously awarded to less-likely-to-be-a-terrorist profile people (Old white people, children, business people who have taken that plane every day for the last 10 years...) is now for sale. And only for sale.

and yes. He paid.. Pretty much all of the $ he earned over the summer has been spent on fines/cost related to hit shitty driving*. Dear Michigan, I am so sorry. But my needs are greater than yours and I don't let him drive on roads with speeds likely to cause injuries. If that helps :/

*he also bought a computer. twice, because the idiot left it in the car which he left unlocked so it was stolen