Thread: The New Rude
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
mbpark
Lecturer

I have that iPhone or Mac Mail open continually. Sometimes I break out the Crackberry Bold, but very rarely these days (I like the T key!). I have a Macbook I take to meetings, and I get a ton of mail on it (sometimes up to 300 messages a day).

I am expected to answer quickly. That iPhone gets a workout from me. The Mac gets similarly put under a lot of pressure (you find me a laptop that comes out of sleep mode into a usable state as quickly as a Mac and configures wireless as quickly with WPA2 Enterprise/RADIUS coming out of sleep or suspend mode and I'll buy it). I use the Mac because I need to be able to answer questions quickly and have it Just Work.

I have 4 monitors at work (one Thinkpad T61 and one Dell Latitude E6400 with the onboard monitor, and 22" DVI -> DisplayPort and 19" USB -> DVI on the Dell). The E6400 is divided into Word, Project/Excel/Remote Desktop, and Outlook 2007/PuTTY screens. I'll upgrade to Office 2010 when I get 4GB RAM in it. The Thinkpad is running Win7 Pro x64 with 3GB RAM and it flies with Outlook 2010. The E6400 runs Win7 Pro x32 since a lot of software doesn't play nice in 64-bit land yet.

People like me aren't rude. That laptop you see me with in meetings has 5 browser tabs or Citrix sessions open to everything on your project. The iPhone = same. I can check on your project requirements in the meeting. That's worth it alone for the time savings.

Information overload, maybe. Everyone's addicted to their crackberries.

What I find rude are the people who answer the phones in the meetings. That's what the hall is for!
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote