Thread: Bad Manners
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #88
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Re: pointing. Someone else must believe that also. Employees at Trader Joe's and ALDI's (same company) are not allowed to point in order to tell you where something is. If they can't describe it, they walk you there.
When I worked at ASDA (owned by Walmart) we had to walk customers to what they wanted. It's possible this was something to do with pointing. It was a pain in the arse, because the last section people walked through before they got to the tills was my section. And the thing they couldn't find was generally in the far corner of the LARGE store (eggs mostly - right against the back wall far left). We had targets on getting out stock and time away from your section was time wasted. Oh the pressure of retail!

Pointing AT someone, I get is rude. Pointing out someone (when asked who they are for a legitimate reason) I will do with one finger and a cocked hand. When giving directions I will commit my whole arm, right down to the tip of the extended finger. Like a statue. It gives people confidence in the directions

I feel I am now closer to the mystery of pointing being rude.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote