View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #39
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
... learned that there are two different sorts of rail roads in India-one is regular sized and the other is smaller, track is different. You can't use both tracks for the same locomotive. This means that at times freight (or, people) must dis-embark from one train to re-embark on another simply because the track has changed. ...
This is similar to what I've been dealing with in the SF Bay Area. Many trips I have to change from the "heavy rail" CalTrain to the "light rail" BART. Sometimes I take the Muni train between them.

BART covers the whole Bay Area except here in Santa Clara county. The debate is whether to extend BART to here or build heavy rail up to BART. To build BART costs 4 times as much per mile than heavy rail.

Santa Clara county really needs a good connection to the East Bay. Now, I have to take the Caltrain up the penisula to the city and BART over to Oakland for games (or my previous job). It takes over 2 hours for a 50 mile trip.

Going home, I BART down the east bay and taxi home for $60. I'd like a rail link for that segment, even if I have to change trains.