View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 05:23 AM   #39
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I don't remember talking about big bang here. I like it well enough I guess
I may be mis-remembering (is that a made-up word-hybrid?!)
I tried Big Bang a few times and was just, "Meh."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The sitcom format of drama has a very specific sort of pace and approach. It's like, it's not real life, we wouldn't communicate like that in real life. It's more of a platform for gags. You have to be ready for that and accept it, at the pace they use, in order for the comedy to take effect.

You have to eat enough of it in order to like it.
Perhaps that was my problem with Friends. I didn't find the wordplay funny enough. I like words.
I think most of us here do, just in case I'm sounding snotty, but to me it was like being back in school before people started to like me. Oh, Joel says that, so everyone laughs. Oh Jacqui says that so it's cute... Then of course it was Cherry says that, so she's so clever. That was the good bit

And also I was force-fed Friends. My housemates watched it EVERY DAY. On my lovely big television. Which I put in the living room as I was the only one with two TVs, and kept the little one upstairs for my own solitary pleasure. And no, that wasn't anything I'd have been embarrassed to watch with my Mum. Although she wouldn't have appreciated me singing along to Clarissa the Teenage Witch (the College Years) theme tune. Hey, Saturday morning TV. I had Clueless and Pokemon down pat too.

I accept that most of my problem was actually with my housemates, but the only episode of Friends I enjoyed was when I'd nommed down some magic mushrooms. FTR they were legal at the time.
And my bro, who I adore, loved Friends.

But I agree that if you like something it gets funnier with repetition.
I can rock with silent laughter at The Blackadder (1st series) episode The Witchsmeller Pursuivant. I'm sure it's not really all that funny. But the cadence and rhythm of it.
RIP Frank Finlay.