View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

I think I still have the National Geographic with Surtsey's first peek above the water on the cover!

Crater Lake in Oregon is still an active volcano, if mostly dormant, by the way. Some years back it grew a new island of its own, christened Wizard Island. Now there's a companion, though I haven't checked lately to find out if it's still growing, has broken the water surface, or has been given a name.

My mom still picks on me in front of my friends (and sometimes hers) about how much I knew about volcano activity and history when I was still in single-digit age range. Krakatoa was always my favorite--that bad boy blew up in Indonesia so big it killed summer halfway around the world for like 2 years in the late 1800s. Around about the time of the US Civil War I think; I haven't focused any of my 'independent study' hobbies on volcanoes for a while.

I did recently see a Werner Herzog documentary called Inferno, and WOW is it neat! There's a great digression to hominid fossil hunting in Ethiopia on the way to see Erta Ale, one of 3 permanent lava lakes in the world. They also let him film a sacred volcano in North Korea.

It's freakin' awesome to see what I remember as photos of a boiling cauldron turning into someplace green, and I'm glad they're keeping people as off as possible. We don't get to see the complete birth and colonization of new islands often.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote