Thread: Merc - Wtf?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #126
lookout123
changed his status to single

Actually, I'm not angry, depressed, or down. Disappointed, yes. Did I happen to catch your attention because I dared to type out that I, you, and most of the participants have been assholes? Then good.

Now put it in context. Have you, SamIam, been an asshole? I don't know. I haven't and won't go back to read all the hundreds of threads I've missed. Have you, SamIam, been a part of the community that seems to have moved on from being a community of wildly different philosophies, lifestyles, politics, communication styles, economic brackets, and any other demographic category imaginable to become something less? Yes? Then SamIam and Lookout should feel some measure of shame.

I get that this is the cellar and is really just a webbased bulletin board, but I always thought of it as something more. I really did feel it was a legitimate community where I could genuinely learn what other people thought and felt; not just those of similar political schools (obviously I lean right) but also those that are 1 to 180 degrees away from my views. I edged my way out of daily participation because I felt we were losing that but assumed it was my own sensitivities at play. (it's possible they still are)

I popped back in to find just pure nastiness directed at anyone who veers from the homogenized "correct" view of things. I find it offensive.

It is your fault. You are here and allow it to happen. It is my fault because I perceive this as an undesireable state of existence and chose to walk away rather than attempt to influence it. It is Jim's fault because... well, he's Jim.

So anyway, Sam - if I have personally offended you, I apologize for my lack of skill in expressing my thoughts. I meant no individual personal insult. I am, however, disappointed in us as a group.

I believe the cellar was more than this. I believe the cellar IS more than this. I commit to returning and attempting to express my views in a non-insulting but certainly divisive manner more often as I get my personal affairs in order.

Oh, and fuck Jim. I say that purely because my introduction to the cellar was having my ass shredded by LJ over my political and religious views. He slapped me down for the newb I was, but in such a manner that I was compelled to return and present myself more coherently. So thanks Jim. You are one of my all time favorite dwellars. You asshole.