View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
In Peterson's mind, a single step toward group mentality or group protection is an inevitable death march to literal genocide a la Maoism. At the same time, he acknowledges that unchecked capitalism leads to increasing extremes of inequality that lead to an unstable-and-doomed-to-collapse system. He notes that "we have to figure out ways" to correct for that, and more specifically that we haven't come up with any such ways so far.
Can't stop thinking about this, I think it's remarkable that an avowed anti-Marxist acknowledges that Capitalism is a broken game. It feels like we've never had that before!

Similarly, Bret Weinstein, another important Rogan interviewee, comes from a rather lefty perspective, and then acknowledges that markets work and are very productive.

To me this is what we've needed all along. I feel like these new public intellectuals are onto something. It's very exciting! They start by breaking the standard identity politics at the university, now they want to break the standard thought about other things.

They are serious thinkers and absolute experts in their fields. (Peterson's work in Psych is very widely cited; Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist, whose work on genetics in mice may change all research science that uses mice.)

They aren't covered on regular media whatsoever because they can't possibly fit into a Bill Maher-esque left vs right scheme. The media can't understand or even recognize something outside the model, so... it attacks them!

And the best way -- maybe the only way to consume their ideas is in the form of 2 hour conversations, unbroken by commercials or any other interruption. And suddenly this is available to us all because Internet.

Viva la revolucion!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote