Thread: Club hatin'
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #19
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage

So, I can apply for one of their scholarships & get it? No... & I should not... but I should be able to start an all white scholarship fund if I want and not get any shit for it as well. I don't want to, but I am making a point.
Your point is actually quite valid. I am in charge of the scholarship program here where I work. Basically, the donor gets to determine what sort of person is eligible for their donation, whether it be race, gender, academic achievement, financial need, or any combination thereof. However, I am sure there would be quite the community uproar if we advertised, in our annual scholarship brochure and application, "Whitie's Funds Memorial Scholarship for Whities Only." All hell would break loose, though we are perfectly OK having a scholarship that is only, for example, for women over 25 who are business majors from a particular county, per the donor's request.

There are national scholarship search engines, however, that lead you to scholarships that pertain to your background, interests, and heritage, and I bet there MUST be some pretty specific scholarships out there that, if my institution were to administer them, would cause problems in our community.

For example, we do have a Minority Scholarship. We do not have a Majority Scholarship. Do I think we should? Not necessarily. It just isn't how it works in our society.

Having said that, my dream is to someday have money so that I can develop a scholarship for those students who fall in the middle financially. The feds and state don't provide much help because they dare have jobs and independence, but they don't really make enough money that higher education isn't a bit of a hardship.

It is my current position that has brought out what others might see as conservatism when my whole life I have felt myself to be very liberal. There are just too many who fall through the cracks. We are losing our middle class in this nation, and a society without a middle class cannot sustain itself.