View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It seems to be more a matter of one's interpretation of the terms used. People have a right to vote and a responsibility to make it an informed vote.

A problem with terminology occurs because a synonym for "duty" is "responsibility". Some will use them interchangeably regardless of context. Here's an example of the confusion it creates taken from a simple internet search:

Quote:
Which is a duty of every American citizen rather than a responsibility?

The duties or responsibilities of a United States citizen can be separated into two groups: mandatory responsibilities, such as paying taxes, and duties not demanded by law, such as voting. Laws are the rules under which a society or community is governed.
That would probably give Mike Rowe conniptions; because, mandatory responsibilities are duties and duties not demanded by law are responsibilities.

I think that with most people who encourage others to vote (regardless of for whom) it's implied that they want those others to get involved and make an informed vote. They would give those others a ride to the polls even if the others were going to vote for an opponent. They believe greater participation has its own benefits. If they refer to voting as a civic duty, I'd just consider it wishful thinking on their part and not demeaning of those who don't vote.

Of course there'll be people with political agendas who encourage others to vote, just for the sake of voting, if they think it will somehow end up helping their agendas. If you don't like it, you're free to encourage others to vote for their opponents. Just whining about them and whining about their terminology doesn't accomplish much more than perhaps gaining some popularity with the disaffected.

Last edited by sexobon; 10-14-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Clarify
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote