View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #104
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I occasionally use the word "irregardless" when I'm being facetious. I may have to stop doing that as it seems the word actually means serious business:

Quote:
This Is What “Irregardless” Really Means (It’s a Real Word!)

... Even though 74 percent of respondents in a Grammarly poll were convinced 'irregardless' is not a word, it actually does show up in the dictionary.

It’s easy to see why 'irregardless' became so cringe-worthy. If 'ir-' means 'not' and 'regardless' means 'of no regard,' then shouldn’t it mean 'not of no regard?' That doesn’t make much sense, and it’s certainly not how people use it. ...

... According to Merriam-Webster’s (and American Heritage and Oxford dictionaries), 'irregardless' is just a non-standard version of 'regardless.' No, it didn’t just enter the dictionary because too many people started quoting Mean Girls, either. Merriam-Webster dates its first known use back to 1795.

According to Merriam-Webster, the word was part of certain American dialects in the early 20th century, likely as a combination of 'irrespective' and 'regardless'—not as the opposite of either. 'The point of ‘irregardless’ is to shut down a conversation,' Merriam-Webster lexicographer Kory Stamper tells Business Insider. 'It has a specific use in particular dialects.' ...

Don’t just start sprinkling 'irregardless' into your conversations though. Oxford still says it’s considered incorrect in standard English, and Stamper agrees you’re better off sticking with 'regardless.' 'If you use ‘irregardless,’ people will think you’re uneducated,' she says. Wouldn’t want that! ...
[BOLD MINE]
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote