View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #3587
glatt

My birthday was last week, and my wife gave me a very generous gift. We had gotten a $100 rewards card from the credit card, and she gave it to me to buy a tent. Now, the tent is a nice gift, but the real gift is that it meant she was willing to go camping sometimes.

So fast forward to yesterday when the tent arrived from Amazon. It's a very nice tent. Sold as a 3 person tent, but the reviews said it was kinda tight for 3 and really should be used by 2. That's what I wanted, so I was happy. The outside label of the box has a nice floor plan diagram showing the layout.
Name:  tent 01.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  62.3 KB
Looks roomy and tall.

So we spread it out and set it up. And it doesn't seem very roomy. It's clearly a 2 person tent to me. You can see the floor size pretty clearly here where it's set up part way.
Name:  tent 03.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  112.3 KB

So let's look at that floor plan again. Huh. Look at those numbers. The tent is just over 3 feet tall, but look at the silhouette dude standing next to it. He can't be much more than 4 feet. And those sleeping bags. Are they right?

I open up the diagram in a photo editing tool and measure pixels against the scale provided.
Name:  tent 01a.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  97.7 KB
That silhouette dude is only 4' 9" and those mummy bags are only 4' 10" long. What a crock! It's like the Stonehenge in Spinal Tap that was in danger of being stepped on by dwarves. Your product won't look so small if you get midgets to pose with it.

The tent is a good size for a 2 person tent, so I'm happy with it. It's nice. But it seems like there should be a standard person size when showing the scale of these things. Something around 5' 10"
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote