View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh she's great!

I'm going to have to check that series out. So glad I nipped in here to post something, because I hadn't seen your post til now.

Here's what I came in to post:

http://original.livestream.com/nytvf...4-b8bceaf456be

I watched this some time ago, before I embarked on my Lostathon, after POI and Jumping off Bridges got me interested in Michael Emerson. It's an interview/Q&A he did for the 2010 New York Television Festival as part of a series of talks with various industry people about the process of creating television. Most of the speakers at these events are writers, producers, directors and so on - it's rare they get an actor to talk in-depth about working in tv and creating characters for tv.

It's a fascinating insight into the industry - and into the craft of acting - and he is a really engaging speaker.

The link above is the NYTVF own stream - it shows the full interview (by the festival director) it's also a much better quality and is filmed from a much better angle than the cut down version that is on Youtube (most of the interview is missing, coming in really just for the Q&A and it's filmed from somewhere in the audience).

I highly recommend watching the full interview - the interviewer asks great questions and Emerson gives a lot of technical insight into acting for the camera versus acting for the stage, how to create particular kinds of on-screen tension and the relationship between the writer, the actor and the audience. It's also very funny in places.

But for those who just want a quick peek without following link:

This cuts in to the last question of the interview, which was about his recent work on Lost and the massive reach of the show at the time. After that it gets to the audience Q&A - bless the poor fellow asking the first question - he is crippled with nerves :p

Best question in this section is around 7 mins in - it's a much more industry-focused question about working as a guest actor in tv shows

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited by DanaC; 06-11-2015 at 10:24 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote