View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
It's the part where he's telling others how to behave. And then getting the praise of your fellow apes for being so virtuous... for actually doing nothing at all.
The phrase is "behave yourself" not "behave others".
What is the "doing nothing at all" here? Saying something if you see something, or saying that you should say something if you see something?

The latter is more of a "behave others" thing, but it's not a "doing nothing at all" thing. The former is closer to "doing nothing at all", but further from "behave others", especially as a Facebook post not directed at any particular person.

If someone posted "Pay it forward! Do something nice today!", would you be huffy about them dictating your behavior?
Quote:
Noting/rewarding the positive behavior? That's the correct way to operate, I believe, and is the only way to actually get the behavior we are looking for out of society.
Sure, but how does that work when you're "seeing something"? Wait until they stop harassing the victim, and then praise them for stopping? If you praise a dog when they finish ripping up a pillow, that won't help anything.

In my view, we should positively reinforce people who say something when they see something.
Quote:
UnDeRsTaNd that if you had been in that thread, with those apes, and offered your position, they would have attacked you for it.

Too shy to actually say something? Wow, like being shy is your big excuse or something? Someone being nearly raped and you can't even say one word? Now we see where the problem lies. It's you, you've actually been the problem all along. The rapers, they run off instinct, but you are supposed to be better than that - and you know that it's wrong, you admit that, but you say nothing? And you want to congratulate the ones who do say something? WOW!! What do you say in your defense? And by the way, if you don't want to talk about it any more? It's even more clear and obvious proof you're one of the bad ones.
Perhaps. And I would, of course, agree to an extent, since it was explicitly described as a fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
When someone sees a murder and says nothing, then they are complicit in the murder. Same concept applies to other crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Did you just call HM a rapist?
Thankfully, I haven't witnessed a rape. But if I had, and done nothing, I would be complicit. The non-confrontational/shy thing was a hypothetical. No particular instances come to mind where it has come up, but it's entirely possible that they have, and I didn't notice, or I did notice, but have forgotten, since it didn't affect me personally.

Your 'apes' might very well castigate me for that manifestation of privilege, as well. To which I would reply, "well, of course, obviously". I'm extremely lucky not to be in a situation where I'm likely to be a victim of this sort of thing, and I will have blind spots.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote