View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #66
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Are heating bills really a problem for them?
Heating bills are a real issue here - in the UK in general, but the main issue is usually Mum & me vs Dad. When Mum is cold she will put on extra layers. She will also put clothes out on the line if it doesn't look like rain. DAD moans about the bills, but will sit in a tank top [US use] or t-shirt and complain about being cold. He will also put all clothes in the dryer for 60 mins on a sunny day; including No Tumble Dry and Mum's delicate tops.

The 'rents are entitled to feel comfortable in their old age. But as children in this very house we were taught to Put On More Clothes, Shut the Door Behind You, Switch the Light Off etc. They were in their 30s then, so of course things have changed, but I have lived The Frugal Life as far as energy is concerned for pretty much all my life, following the 'rents' original example - I've internalised it and am bound to parrot it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
No no, a wifebeater must be excessively thin, and no color other than white (except for beer stains.) I'm going to guess you mean a tank top?
Tank top - that answers a puzzle. To us (Brits) a tank top is a jumper without sleeves. By which I mean a knitted item, as I think by jumper you understand pinafore?
A vest for us is an undergarment (a tank top with or without sleeves). Or occasionally an outer garment for women with small or spaghetti straps.

Never a waistcoat