Thread: Mental Health
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

The best thing I do to stop my mind running wild at night, to fall asleep...is I pick a subject and go through the alphabet naming things for that subject. Like, US cities, or world cities, or countries, or foods, or animals etc. And I'm really lenient with myself. I don't care if it takes me a few breaths in and out to come up with an answer, and it's fine if I can't come up with anything (I have yet to think of a "D" vegetable, for instance) so I just come up with something close. I find myself drifting off, then being half awake trying to remember where I left off. It really does the trick for me. It's like you're keeping your mind busy without thinking about all the bad parts of the day or the 'what ifs' or (if you're like me) reminding myself how much I suck.

It's sort of gives your mind a relaxing routine without being taxing...and you can be as specific or non-specific as you like. (Like, naming countries is easier than naming brands of cookies or something...but you gotta mix it up so you're not just repeating the same things every night.)

And, if you're like me, the dreaming will come back. I'm dream as much or more (or remember as much of them or more) than before, even.

Keep on keepin' on, bbro!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote